Wednesday 10 October 2018

Game Elements

The article I read was "Formal Abstract Design Tools" by Doug Church, from 1999. I really liked the article as he is mentioning a game that I played long time ago.  The Mario 64, or similar type of games that were popular at the time were based on fun, because popularity of games were just rising at the time, so designers weren't quite thinking about the financial aspects of creating. All games at the time were built on all the things mentioned in the article, but now, in 2018, everything has changed, the purpose of a game has changed, at least from business point of view, its more about the money than entertainment. The principles discussed and language used is still working for nowadays games, but on a very basic level. 
From the article I learned about 3 principles of a game, which I think are fundamentals for game development. Those are: 

INTENTION: Making an implementable plan of one's own creation in response to the current situation in the game world and one's understanding of the game play options.

PERCEIVABLE CONSEQUENCE: A clear reaction from the game world to the action of the player.

STORY: The narrative thread, whether designer-driven or player-driven, that binds events together and drives the player forward toward completion of the game.

I will use the knowledge learned from this article in designing my own game, while adding my own twists and aspects to it. 

source

No comments:

Post a Comment